It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:20 am
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 33 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Ambush Alley in Central Maryland
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:23 pm 
Captain

Hi everyone;
Welcome to Baltimore.
Here in Central Maryland, we have a great group of gamers who meet regularly at two Friendly Local Game Stores for a selection of Historical Wargames and now including Ambush Alley.
That is once a few of us get our stuff painted.

In Fallston/Bel Air we have Renaissance Games.
In Glen Burnie, we have Games, Comics and Stuff.
Our games are usually played on Mondays at Glen Burnie and Wednesdays at Ren-Games.
Renaissance Games has ordered QRF product in the past and is very willing to bring in whatever we request as long as the need is there.

We are a very easy going group, with a wide range of interests.
So if you are in the area, or will be just passing through, post a reply on this "Club Notice" and we'll try to get something going.
Good gaming;
Joep

OfflineProfileSend private message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:38 pm 
AAG Co-Director

Trivia of the Day - Till four years ago, I lived Columbia, MD!

"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:46 am 
Captain

Thats a very nice and growing area there.
The mall area is completely changed and expanded.

If you ever come back this way, let me know.

Joep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:05 am 
AAG Co-Director

My office was in the Merryl-Lynch building across the street from the mall, in fact.

I don't think I'll ever move back that way due to the cost of living, but I think we'll definitely be visiting some cons in that area in the next few years!

"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:05 am 
AAG Co-Director

Though I have to say I'd LOVE to live in Annapolis . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:56 pm 
Captain

Annapolis is tops on my list too, a bit too far from good gaming spots for my taste:-)

Here in Central Maryland, we have been playing Battlefield Evolution Moderns in 1/72 scale plastics.
The rules are good, but since they are set in the near future, it's more about who can bring more bang for the buck, or Euro and the poor bloody infantry gets blasted from above and on all sides.
The battles are larger with each side loading up on AFVs, Man-Packed AT weapons and Air Support.
I prefer the smaller scale, real life actions, that rules like Ambush Alley stresses.
And; as I have told my friends, this game is all about..that it is "the Man and not the Machine" who wins battles.
And so; I have been working the group and sowing the seeds of Ambush Alley with my group.
I have one other player that has jumped in with both feet and three other players who like what they see so far.
Two have military backgrounds.
My next step is to run a game of the first scenario in the rule book and let everybody get involved.
Wednesday nights at Ren-Games has become "Historical night" so in a couple of weeks, I will run a game and post an AAR here.
Good gaming;
Joep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:30 pm 
Captain

Ambush Alley influence grows in Central Maryland.
Hi everyone;
As you know, I have been cultivating a group of players for Ambush Alley and am seeing my work pay off.
It started out with me sending out the Quick Start rules to a few of my buddies.
One other player (Derrick) went out and picked up several packs of US Army and US Marines, plus Contractors to battle my insurgents.
Then I sent out links to the forum and let them know that I started a thread on here.
At Cold Wars; I, Brian and Scott spent some time talking to Rebel Minis Mike about the game, his enthusiasm was contagious.
Now another potential player (Brian) has told me that he has ordered the rules and Operation Dark Star battle box.
Tonight I sent out a short list from the rule book of Marine and Army To&E and that prompted a favorable response to (Scott) who served in the Army and knows a thing or two about that.
We will be playing the first scenario next Wednesday at Renaissance Games in Fallston Maryland.
So we now have 4 committed players here and another two in the wings.
Good gaming;
Joep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:31 am 
AAG Co-Director

Great news, Joe! I'm glad to hear the game is starting to take hold with your group!

I'd say I should hire Mike as a salesman, but I suspect he pays himself better than I could! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:43 pm 
Captain

Winning over my Friendly Local Game Store...Owner.

Bruce is the owner of Renaissance Games, who has always been supportive of us, by bringing in various miniatures and rules for the "Hottest New Game" we all want to play.

Ren-Games has a great playing area, with several large tables, that are the perfect height for gaming, and it doesn't cost us anything to play there and play what ever we want.

Ambush Alley is one of them, so as much as I have been recruiting players for this, I want him to be happy that we are playing it in his store, as it dilutes our playing time of things he stocks, and we have always played.

Now we haven't played a game yet, but one of the guys (Brian) brought up his Rebel Minis Insurgents, that look great.
Bruce was so impressed with them, that he asked if he could put them in his display cabinet until we play next Wednesday.

Then we mentioned to Bruce about getting more Mid-Eastern 15mm buildings.
So; he just e-mailed us a list from JR Minis, who seems to be having a sale right now.
I ordered some buildings and walls from him, and I'm sure the other guys will do so too.
This all goes in to the "two way street" of "Winning Hearts and Minds" or you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours between a local bunch of gamers and the store owner, who puts up with us every week.

Next Bruce is going to bring in some QRF Vehicles.
So it looks like we got him right where he wants us.
Good gaming;
Joep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:09 pm 
Lt. Colonel

"So it looks like we got him right where he wants us."

:D Like it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:01 pm 
Captain

Hi everyone;
We had an unexpected chance for four of us to meet at Ren-Games and play the first scenario-"Contracting Trouble" today.

I just did a short e-mail AAR,to two of our absent gamers, so I thought I would re-post it here.

"Hi Brian; well, your insurgents looked good on the table top and thanks to a big replenishment pool, seemed to have 9 lives to the few Marines and Contractors facing them.

Derricks Marines also looked good, plus we used his "Geraldo Rivera" Newsmaker Team as our two Contractors.

I thought the game was good, although it being the first game and we being surrounded by noisy pre-teen Star Wars players, it moved slowly.

Charles and Derrick each commanded a Marine Fire Team, sent in to retrieve the contractors.

It didn't look far from the table edge, it's only a 2' x 2' table:-(

John and I ran the insurgents.

Started out with only a few and they died in quantity when the marines got to shooting.

The difference in dice each side rolls made it very tough on the insurgents. (D6 versus D8).

So; it was hard for us to hit them, easy for them to hit us.

Charles got his team up in contact with the stranded contractors, despite running a gauntlet of fire just getting there.

Derrick kept his team back a bit, in position with Overwatch, plastering any Iraqi who pointed a gun in the wrong direction.

Getting to the rental boys was easy.

Getting back off the table with them was the tough part.

John and I kept rolling reinforcements and rolling for the hotspots we wanted. i.e. right along the evac route the Marines would take to get out of dodge.

What slowed the game down, was figuring out...who could interupt, who could react, who then could follow up, and how could they react, plus throw in Overwatch and you had a lot of page turning through the rule book.

The Marine casualties started to mount.

First one for Derrick then several for Charles.

The last 12" were like the final run out of "The Mog" in Blackhawk Down....Charles team took casualties, had the two contractors with them and an ever present stream of Insurgents taking shots at them.

We are not clear on how casualties work and effect the teams.

For Regulars only...

Sounds like;

You take hits in one turn, have to spend your next activation (current turn or the next) getting into cover.

Then you roll to see who was hit and how serious the hit was. (KIA or WIA or just a flesh wound).

While that turn is taking place, you (the regular player) can only react to Insurgent fire, by firing back or moving to better cover.

So the game came down to Fireteam Randow, having several casualties and one KIA, just making it out to the rendevous with the two contractors in tow.

I think we are not sure if he could actually make it to the edge with his casualties, but we figured he could and the game ended, when they crossed the southern edge of the battle zone.

Fireteam Barton, then followed suit, while our insurgents poured bullets into the stranded Humvee, as Al Jezeera filmed it all.

Thanks guys, especially for John and Charles in being the brains of the operation.

And as always for Bruce in putting up with his unexpected game in the middle of the Death Star, formerly known as Ren-Games.

Looking forward to the next game."

Joep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:05 pm 
Lt. Colonel

Sounds like a great game - did you get any pics? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:03 pm 
Captain

Hi Nik;
Sorry to say, but no.
this was a rush kind of get together and in my haste to get up there, forgot the camera.
It's a shame too, as there were some "cinematic" moments in the game, that made me say a few times, "Dang, I wish I had my camera."

I'm going to try and get a game together this week, and will have my camera at the ready then.

One thing I see now that we did not do; was to make one of the dependant Contractors and casualty, in one of the last rounds of shooting.
The Marine Fire Team with the two Contractors was in a bad spot at the end, taking lots of small arms fire.
They took casualties a couple of turns, even had a KIA and a WIA.
Something to remember next game.
Joep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:24 pm 
Captain

Force on Force arrives in Central Maryland;

Well it seems that the seed planted by me is now taking root and rather quickly too.
Two of my gaming buddies (John Wilson and Brian Towers), have purchased the Force on Force pdf.
Brian also ordered the Force on Force preprinted rule book.

This coming Wednesday night, we will be running an Operation Dark Star scenario; "Don't bother knocking" with AA and probably a WWII FoF game right next to it.
I'll also pick up the Force on Force rules, when my finances get better.
Pictures and AAR to follow.
If anyone reading this is in the Harford County Bel Air, Maryland area, please stop by.
Good gaming;
Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:49 pm 
Captain

Hi everyone;
Well, work got in the way of my fun once again.
This past Wednesday at Renaissance Games in Fallston Maryland, Ambush Alley, was the game of the night, for about 6 guys.
I sent an e-mail to my friend Brian, to see what took place.
Here's his response:
Sounds like a great time was had by all.....except me.
enjoy.

Joe,

We got 3 games of Ambush Alley in. Scott and I played through contracting trouble. I was the insurgents, Scott the Marines. Due to terrible insurgent rolls on my part, Scott grabbed the contractors and left with little trouble. Game 2 was contracting trouble with John taking on Scott's insurgents. The good guys were down to half before they made it halfway across the table. Not sure what happend, I got distracted and missed much of that game. Finally, we had a giant hostage rescue using a 4 x 4 table and all the terrain. The hostage was in a mosque located at the center of the table. John, Sean, and a guy whose name a forgot took the insurgent. Scott had a delta fire team, I had a delta entry team. Derrick and Bill had Marine fire teams. The delta teams made it to the mosque and grabbed the hostage. Derrick had his team on overwatch in a parking garage over the mosque and delt a lot of damage to the insurgents. Bill took casualties pretty early on, and had to fight of droves of insurgents with his two remaining riflemen. If medals were to be handed out, they would go to Bill's Marines. Not sure we've got all the rules down yet, but I think everyone had a ball.
Brian.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 33 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next